To make Frittors of Spinage.
Take a good deale of Spinnage, and wash it cleane, and boyle it in faire water, and when it is boyled, put it in a Collender, and let it coole. Then wring all the water out of it as neere as ye can, lay it vpon a board, and chop it with the back of a chopping knife verie smal, and put it in a platter, and put to it four whites of Egs, and two yolks, and the crums of halfe a manchet grated, and a litle Synamon & Ginger, and styrre them well together with a spoon and take a frying pan and a dish of sweete Butter in it, when it is molten put handsomly in your pan halfe a spoonefull of your stuffe, and so bestowe the rest after, fry them on a soft fyre, and turn them when time is, lay them in a platter and cast sugar on them.
John Partridge, The good Huswifes Handmaide for the Kitchin.
Take a good deal of Spinach, and wash it clean, and boil it in clean water, and when it is boiled, put it in a colander, and let it cool. Then wring all the water out of it as near as you can, lay it upon a board, and chop it with the back of a chopping knife very small, and put it in a platter, and put to it four whites of eggs, and two yolks, and the crumbs of half a fine white loaf grated, and a little cinnamon & ginger, and stir them well together with a spoon and take a frying pan and a dish of sweet butter in it, when it is molten put handsomely in your pan half a spoonful of your stuff, and so bestow the rest after, fry them on a soft fire, and turn them when time is, lay them in a platter and cast sugar on them.
|500g frozen spinach||200g bread crumbs (approx. 1 cup)|
|2 eggs||1 tsp each cinnamon, ginger|
|2 egg whites||Salt, pepper|
|Butter for frying|
- The night before, get the frozen spinach out of the freezer to thaw and drain. This can be done in a covered colander in the sink.
- Beat the eggs and egg whites together.
- Mix the spinach, bread crumbs, egg mix and spices together and combine. Use your hands if you have to.
- Shape the spinach mix into balls about the size of a walnut, then flatten. You should get about 30.
- Heat the butter in a frypan. Cook the fritters until they are heated through.
- Manchet was the finest, whitest bread available. It was expensive due to the process of producing the fine white flour.
- “Sweet butter” is unsalted butter. Butter was either made to be used quickly, or salted for preserving.
These ones are a lot bigger than I’d recommend for serving at a feast. These would make a great main meal size, but if making for a feast I would make them around a quarter of the size.