To make blaunche porre. Tak whyte lekys & perboyle hem & hewe hem smale with oynouns. Cast it in good broth & sethe it up with smale bryddys. Coloure it with saffferoun; powdur yt with pouder douce. The Forme of Cury.2
To make golden leeks. Take the white part of leeks and par-boil them and cut them small with onions. Cast it in good broth and cook it up with small birds. Colour it with saffron, and add powder douce.
This is another good standard SCA recipe. The recipe below does not contain any “small birds;” this makes it vegetarian/vegan friendly. If you wish to add “small birds,” I would suggest adding a few chicken wings when the leeks and onions are added to the stock.
|4 medium leeks||1 tsp saffron strands|
|2 brown onions||½ tsp sugar|
|500 ml vegetable stock||¼ tsp cinnamon|
- Soak the saffron strands in a small amount of boiling water until the water is deep gold.
- Slice the leeks and onions finely.
- Put all the ingredients in a large pot and cook gently until the onions and leeks are soft (around 8 minutes).
- If serving as a side dish, drain off most of the stock.
- Powder douce is a spice mix, most likely cinnamon and sugar (Hieatt, 1985, 208).
Hieatt, Constance and Butler, Sharon. Curye on Inglysch. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1985.